Hello there, beloved fans! Just kidding — I don’t know if anyone actually reads this, but I wanted to update you, my invisible friends, with a few important items of note.
- The other day I wrote a piece for the incredible Tavi Gevinson-helmed website Rookie, which is aimed at teen girls. My essay was about why Madonna is “literally the best thing ever.” Because, well, um… She is. I mean, she was, for me, when I was growing up. Her influence on me was massive. But you probably already know that if you know me or if you’re familiar with Madonna & Me.
- I’m eastward-bound on Saturday for a few more Madonna & Me readings on the East Coast. Hurrahs! I’m so excited to see my best friends in NYC and Boston. In NYC on Tuesday, May 22 at 7 pm, I’ll be hosting a superfun reading at the bar Solas in the East Village. Perhaps the coolest thing about this is that MADONNA USED TO WAITRESS THERE back in the day (it was formerly Café Tabac). So cool; I can’t wait. Fabulous contributors Kristin McGonigle, Jamia Wilson, Jamie Beckman, Erin Trahan, Tamara Lynch, and Kelly Keenan Trumpbour will be reading from their Madonna & Me essays. If you live in or around New York, you would be remiss not to show up. Seriously, REMISS TO THE MAXIMUM.
- The following night at 7 pm, I’ll be reading from Madonna & Me with Susan Shapiro, Emily Nussbaum, Dana Rossi, and Colleen Kane at one of my very favorite bookstores: St. Marks Bookshop! The event starts at 7 pm. I have many fond memories of browsing their impeccably stocked shelves when I lived in New York, especially when I lived right around the corner on 9th St. and 2nd Avenue, circa 2003/2004; their magazine racks were my personal vision of heaven. I’m thrilled to read there — it’s been a neighborhood staple since 1977 and so many esteemed writers have read and/or frequented the place.
- And last but not least, on Friday, May 25 I’ll be reading with contribs Kelly Keenan Trumpbour and Maria Raha at Baltimore’s Atomic Books. We will be “sharing” the event with author Michael Fournier, who will be reading from his new novel Hidden Wheel. Very excited! I haven’t visited Atomic before, but growing up in DC, I’ve been hearing great things about it for years.
- In other news, as a recently jobless person, I’m looking for new writing & editing projects to take on! Yes! This means if you have leads, you should please email me (laura at laurabarcella dot com).
- And please “like” Madonna & Me on Facebook here, and buy it-then-write-an-Amazon-review here, and follow it on Twitter here, and follow yours truly on Twitter here. Thanks, and bye for now…